[linux-lvm] Rebuilding ext4 filesystem on an LV

Ken Bass daytooner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 08:52:33 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Bryan Whitehead <driver at megahappy.net>wrote:

> Dig deep into your memory (or just try different combos) of running
> mkfs.ext4 -n /dev/yourVG/yourLV
>
> -n is like a dry run so you can look for the alternate superblock
> locations.
>
> Using the above info, run fsck.ext4 -b <alt location> /dev/yourVG/yourLV

Tried all of that, with many different offsets. No luck.

> Even if it can find an alternate superblock, I'm not confident the
> fsck would be able to help much…

Do you mean in general, or just for recovery of the trashed drive? I didn't
have much hope for the trashed drive, but I was hoping to recover what was
on the other drives.

> That said, I think you might be out of luck. Go ahead and give it a
> shot, I'm curious how much data you'll get.

Me too :-).

But what bothers me is this message I get when I run e2fsck (which runs
fsck.ext4):
"e2fsck: Invalid argument while trying to open
/dev/mapper/VolGroupX-LogVolX"

Why am I getting that?

thx for the response.

ken