[linux-lvm] Grub 1 vs 2

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Fri Jul 30 03:46:44 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 02:10:15PM -0400, Stuart D Gathman wrote:

> Use a large /boot partition.  The last time I used Ubuntu, it did not
> easily support having a separate /boot filesystem (instead making the
> root fs bootable), so that could be a problem, unless Ubuntu also
> supports grub 2 (with LVM support).

Stuart,

Slightly hijacking this thread, but forking.  Yes, Ubuntu 10.04 does seem to support Grub 2.  In fact, that's where my problem arises.

I guess I didn't understand the implications of switching to Grub 2, because I let Ubuntu 10.04 do so when I was trying to dual boot a Grub 1 machine that I had.  Once it was finished, I could not find the old system at all, and the menu.lst ( or grub.conf or whatever ) in /boot/grub seems to have no effect on anything.  At least changes that I make seem to do nothing.

Certainly I can mount the LVs that comprised the old system, so I know that the install did not overwrite the LVs that I did not tell it to use, but I can not seem to boot the old system.

Any sage advice?

Thanks,
Brian