[linux-lvm] my project

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Fri Mar 5 02:44:42 UTC 2010

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Afonso Henriques Silva Leite wrote:

> So guys, what do you think? Can I solve my problem with lvm? I mean, I
> remember reading a warning to do not use lvm with root partitions. It's
> impossible to do it?

LVM works fine for the root partition.  There are a few operations
that require booting from a LiveCD (like shrinking the root LV), but
I've never had to do them.

LVM does not currently work for the *boot* partition (although the
grub guys are working on that).

It will not be easy to convert your disk to LVM, however.  You should
get another 40G disk (I have a stack of them, having recycled all
my 10s and 20s).  Install the new disk as primary, and the old as secondary.
Install an LVM friendly distro like Fedora on the new disk with "Custom Disk
Layout".  Allocate a 300M /boot partition, and the remainder as an LVM PV.
Allocate a 10G LV for system, a swap LV, and a large data LV mounted on the
same directory as your current system.  After installing and updating, copy
your data directory over with rsync.

Once your root is in LVM, it is very easy to enlarge while mounted
and the system is cranking!

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>