[linux-lvm] dmeventd mirror monitoring

malahal at us.ibm.com malahal at us.ibm.com
Mon Mar 29 19:05:31 UTC 2010

Phillip Susi [psusi at cfl.rr.com] wrote:
> It seems that dmeventd was created to allow lvm to have it monitor
> mirrored volumes and detect errors and take appropriate action, such as
> notifying the administrator about the mirror becoming degraded and maybe
> rebuilding with a spare.  I can't find any documentation on how to
> configure this though, so I get the feeling that it has not been
> implemented.  Is this the case?

Currently it has snapshot and mirror (raid1) plugins. The mirror part
does monitor (event based) for failed legs or logs and takes some
actions. At the moment, all of its configuration is in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf
file. Look at activation section.

1) It doesn't notify the admin.
2) It doesn't automatically rebuild with a given sparse disk. Although
   you can use "allocate" to get this kind of feature. I have not
   tested this feature though!