[linux-lvm] LVM Logical Volumes viewing partitions, mounting, creating, sda moved to sdb. KUbuntu 10.4

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Sun May 16 04:37:43 UTC 2010

    Most of your questions are probably answered by
"man lvm".  The "lvm" command also goes by other names,
each with their own man page, and you'll probably want
to start with the tools to scan for LVM "things":

pvscan
vgscan
lvscan

> Why don't fdisk&  parted support it properly yet?

    The same reason that screwdrivers don't know
anything about televisions.  Screwdrivers are for
screws.  Televisions may have screws as one of their
parts, just as partitions may be used to build physical
volumes, but the partition tools only care about the
partitions, not what you might be building from them.

    Generally, physical volumes go on partitions, volume
groups go on partitions, and logical volumes go on volume
groups.  So a logical volume is three steps removed from
a partition, maybe four if RAID is included.  Is it confusing -
yeah, a little bit at first, but the same indirection that
makes it a little complicated makes it SUPER flexible.
Some people actually partition their logical volumes,
putting what I consider to be the "bottom" level on
top.  I normally do RAID on the bottom, then partitions,
then physical volumes, but I've seen people mix up
the order in all sorts of ways for their specific needs.
--
Ray Morris
support at bettercgi.com

http://www.bettercgi.com/strongbox/