[linux-lvm] Adding a disk to expand an existing logical volume

Richard Jerrido rjerrido at outsidaz.org
Wed May 19 15:58:24 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 11:43 AM, kevin <k at kevinkevin.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>

> I have a live production system w/ logical volume that i want to add a drive
> to. I just wanted to confirm that adding a drive
> (fdisk+mkfs+pvcreate+vgextend+lvextend) is the right way to go about adding
> a disk to logical volumes? I want to ensure that the existing data on the
> logical volume isn’t compromised and have never done this before.
>

> If theres something I should be aware of or if my process is incorrect,
> please let me know. Any help is extremely appreciated J
>

> Thanks,
>

> Kevin

The "mkfs" step isnt needed if you are expanding an existing logical
volume. A revised procedure would be the following:

- Add disk to system
- Partition it via fdisk. Set partition type to 8e (Linux LVM)
- run pvcreate initialize the partition for LVM
- run vgextend to expand your existing volume group with the new device.
- run lvextend to grow your logical volume.
- finally, run resize2fs (assuming you are using ext3/4) to grow the
file system.

Rich