[linux-lvm] Bad disk?

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Thu Nov 11 16:46:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Mauricio Tavares wrote:

> > Tell us exactly what you mean by "put a LVM on it".  Did you run
> > pvcreate?  vgcreate?  lvcreate? You might find the output of "pvs"
> > enlightening.  That will tell us what PVs you have created.
> > And list /dev/mapper so we know what dm-0 is, and include the output of
> > "lvs".
> >
> 	Let me put this way, I thought I did. I mean, after creating the
> partition, setting it to LVM (8e), then running
>
> pvcreate /dev/sdc1
> vgcreate export /dev/sdc1
> lvcreate -L 400G --name vms export
>
> I used mkfs.ext4 to create partition (on /dev/mapper/export-vms) and off I
> went. Do you think I missed a step?

Great.  Now include output of "lvs"

BTW, if you really suspect a disk error, test for it directly.
E.g., you can run

# dd if=/dev/sdc1 of=/dev/null bs=256k

to read through the partition or

# smartctl -t long /dev/sdc

To initiate a long self test of the disk (need smartmontools installed).

A brand new disk that flunks self test is indeed defective.

However, for real physical I/O errors, there would be errors logged
in /var/log/messages referencing sdc (as opposed to dm-0), so I still
think it is a logical error.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>