[linux-lvm] Unable to use metadata.dirs in lvm.conf? (Was: Re: Solving the "metadata too large for circular buffer" condition)

Peter Rajnoha prajnoha at redhat.com
Fri Nov 26 16:03:37 UTC 2010

On 11/25/2010 04:28 AM +0100, Andrew Gideon wrote:
> I immediately start seeing "memory" errors from LVM commands.  For example:
>
> 	[root at noodle6 tagonline]# vgscan
> 	  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
> 	  Found volume group "TestVG0" using metadata type lvm2
> 	  Found volume group "guestvg00" using metadata type lvm2
> 	  You have a memory leak (not released memory pool):
> 	   [0x83e7848]
> 	   [0x83e7868]
> 	  You have a memory leak (not released memory pool):
> 	   [0x83e7848]
> 	   [0x83e7868]

This should be resolved already (since lvm2 version 2.02.75) with this patch
http://sourceware.org/git/?p=lvm2.git;a=commit;h=cfbbf34d6a8606dd97ef529e8f709e494535ed42

> I then
>    * pvcreate -ff --restorefile /etc/lvm/backup/... --uuid ... --metadatacopies 0  /dev/xvdN1
> on the final PV that has metadata.
>
> Now, I cannot see the volume group:
>
> 	[root at noodle6 tagonline]# vgdisplay -v TestVG0
> 	    Using volume group(s) on command line
> 	    Finding volume group "TestVG0"
> 	    Wiping cache of LVM-capable devices
> 	  Volume group "TestVG0" not found

This seems to be another bug, I've sent a patch to lvm-devel...

(The metatada/dirs is not used so often so that's probably the reason why these
bugs got unnoticed for a longer time. If you have any other problem while using
this setting, plese, feel free to report it. Thanks.)

Peter