[linux-lvm] Q: LVM over RAID, or plain disks? A:"Yes" = best of both worlds?

Andrew Gideon ag2827189 at tagmall.com
Tue Nov 30 15:41:21 UTC 2010

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:34:05 +0700, hansbkk wrote:

> So here's a summary of steps, please confirm:
>   - create a snapshot of a given volume - create a new RAID1 mdN between
>   that and a physical partition (blank?) - let that get sync'd up -
>   break the RAID (fail the partition?), remove the drive - delete the
>   snapshot

I'm having some difficulty following this thread, so perhaps I've missed
some other aspect to this.  But the above makes it seem like you simply
wish to transport snapshots.  Why not use something as straightforward as
dd for this rather than RAID1?  RAID1 tools (mdadm, drbd, etc.) have the
benefit of keeping volumes in sync over time.  But the above process
describes a synchronization over a single instant (the instant of the
snapshot being taken).  So why bother with the extra work/capability/
complexity?

I'm also puzzled by something you wrote in your very first message on
this thread: "the hard-linked filesystems on FILER-B require full
filesystem cloning with block-level tools rather than file-level copying
or sync'ing."  Why?  rsync -H handles cloning of hard links (though at a
performance cost).

	- Andrew