[linux-lvm] Losing one of various PVs in VG

Spelic spelic at shiftmail.org
Thu Nov 25 18:39:57 UTC 2010

Hi all,
I am planning our new storage system.

I would like the ability to migrate LVs between the various RAID arrays
we have.
This would require we have a PV per array and all PVs under the same VG.

Now I'm wondering what happens if we lose an array: all data on all
arrays will be lost because the VG is lost?

I did spot one way to prevent this:

I could create one VG per PV, then just before the migration I would do
vgmerge between the two VGs source and destination, then perform
migration of the LV with pvmove, then wait for it to complete (by not
sending it to background probably), then do vgsplit to return to initial
condition.

It's quite complex and unconvenient though. Also if I forget to wait
completion for pvmove and/or I forget to do vgsplit, and then one of the
two array fails, I would probably lose data from both.

What do you suggest?

Thanks for your help