[linux-lvm] Grub with UUID

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Thu Oct 7 17:38:55 UTC 2010

> I wanted to use GRUB with UUID when i pass the
> boot flags root=. When i did this, my system cannot mount the root
> more.

root= is not a grub argument, it's a kernel argument.
If it's wrong, you'll get a few dozen lines of output and then
it'll say "can not mount root filesystem" or something similar.

root (hd0,0) would be grub.  If it's wrong, you'll get less than
a dozen lines of output before the error message.

Try mounting first with root=/dev/sda2 or whatever, then double
check a) the UUID and b) the syntax you're using, which should be
something like:
root=UUID=xxx

If the root volume isn't a plain disk partition, but is rather
a logical voume or mdadm, your initrd will need to include lvm,
raid, or whatever else is needed to get the root volume up and
running.

See also super grub disk, which can be helpful for figuring all
of this stuff out.
--
Ray Morris
support at bettercgi.com