[linux-lvm] Important diretories are missing after adding space.

Stuart D Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Sun Sep 5 23:21:33 UTC 2010

On 09/05/2010 04:06 PM, For Miscelenious wrote:
> Stuart, no offence can be taken ar all - I cam see two possibilities -
> u did smth very stupid or its a glitch.
> I actually selected "shutdown" option in kde.
>
> I cant say that fsck fixed - it reported a short read. I got
> completely shocked and just for the hell of it ran la just to observe
> that. Everything is "back".
Check /var/log/messages for I/O errors on sdb.
> Since then I copied all files. To backup lv and ran that fack. Last
> reported no problem.
>
> You mentioned something about extended partitions?
If sdb1 had been the extended partition, then it overlaps both sdb5 and
sdb6, so that building a PV/filesystem on sdb5 would overwrite the
existing filesystem on sdb1.  That would have come under the "very
stupid" category.  (I.e. don't try to add sdb2 as a PV!  Does EL5
prevent this somehow?  I don't have anything expendable attached to test
on...)