[linux-lvm] LVM corruption/diagnosis

Jan Bakuwel jan.bakuwel at diala.gl3
Tue Apr 5 04:44:26 UTC 2011

Hi,

OS:         Debian Lenny
Hypervisor: Xen 3.2-1
kernel:     2.6.18-6-xen-amd64
lvm2:       2.02.06-4etch1
lvm-common: 1.5.20
Hardware:   IBM x3650 hardware RAID5 on SAS with battery backup

I've used LVM2 for years without any issue. I recently diagnosed a
problem with a Windows XP virtual machine running on a Debian Lenny Xen
dom0. After getting reports of stability problems and unexpected
crashes, I restored the VM from a image backup that is known to work. To
my surprise, that image also was crashing unexpectingly. After much
trial and error, I decided to create a new LV and restore the image to
the new LV (rather than using the existing LV). My surprise was even
bigger when that turned out to be the solution: the Windows XP VM has
been running fine since.

Now the daunting (?!) task awaits me to diagnose why one LV is suitable
for a Windows XP VM and another no longer is (even though it has been
fine for at least half a year).

Advise on how I can diagnose potential corruption problems with LVs much
appreciated.

cheers,
Jan