[linux-lvm] LVM Naming Convention

Mike Seda maseda at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 19 22:23:26 UTC 2011

Hi All,
Recently, I came across the new LVM naming convention in RHEL 6. This
convention places the output of "hostname -s" in the VG name. This
doesn't really fit into the way I've previously setup VGs, which was to
create a new VG for each type of disk attached to the system, e.g. RAID
1 SAS 10K (local), RAID 6 SATA 7.2K (SAN).

I guess I could modify the naming convention slightly as shown below:
- /dev/vg_`hostname -s`_[0-9][0-9]/lv_{foo|bar}

Another thought I had was that maybe I don't need a separate VG for each
type of disk since the lvcreate/lvextend commands seem to be able to
create/grow an LV by PV. My understanding is that this would allow you
to skip the step of growing the VG by the PV, right?

Essentially, I'm just wondering what other folks in my situation are
doing for LVM naming.

Thanks In Advance,
Mike