[linux-lvm] Proper way to delete an active snapshot?

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Tue Aug 30 18:18:28 UTC 2011

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Linda A. Walsh wrote:

> If you have a snapshot of a volume running... how are you supposed to delete
> it?
>
> i.e. after you unmount it... if I just do a lvremove, I get a warning about
> it being
> an active volume -- so I tried doing a dmsetup remove on it first -- and that
> stops the warning -- but I just noticed, I had a bunch of inactive 'cow'
> volume names under 'dmsetup ls', that referred to the old snapshot names.
>
> so I'm guessing that using dmsetup to remove the dev first, then lvremove is
> NOT the best way to be doing this...(as it results in stuff that needs to be
> cleaned
> up...)...
> So how do I remove the volume w/o getting warnings about it being 'active'?

I agree that the warning is broken (when LV is not otherwise mounted or open).

I use

   /usr/sbin/lvremove  -f "$snappath"

in scripts, which suppresses the warning without leaving a mess.  I'm not
sure what happens if the LV is actually open in that case.  Hopefully
you get an error.

I am on Centos-5.6

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>