[linux-lvm] lvcreate and lvremove --quiet option is not quiet

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Mon Feb 14 16:31:12 UTC 2011

>  My general scripting philosophy is that automation scripts that
> do not have errors should not generate output that will cause cron
> to send an email.

> So... I grabbed the source code and started nosing around.

So we'll look forward to seeing your patches I hope?
It does seem logical that it shouldn't produce informational
messages on stdout with --quiet.

As to the first part, that got me thinking about the general rule.
Is it generally agreed that commands which do not have errors "should
not generate output" or that commands which do not have ERRORs "should
not generate output on standard ERROR?

The OP said that these messages are on stdout, not stderr.  I'm
kind of thinking that's right. No errors, nothing on standard error.
If using --quiet, then no standard output.  If lacking a quiet option,
then cron jobs should redirect stdout to /dev/null, sending mail if
there are errors on stderr.  Thoughts?
--
Ray Morris
support at bettercgi.com