[linux-lvm] Snapshots and disk re-use

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Wed Feb 23 16:12:59 UTC 2011

On 23/02/11 14:16, Joe Thornber wrote:
>  And how do I zero just exception store?

In this example, the normal lv is c1_s1.
It has two snapshots, c1_s1_snap0 and c1_s1_snap1.

List the underlying volumes like so:

[root at clonebox2 ~]# ls -1  /dev/mapper/clones-c1_s1*
/dev/mapper/clones-c1_s1
/dev/mapper/clones-c1_s1-real
/dev/mapper/clones-c1_s1_snap0
/dev/mapper/clones-c1_s1_snap0-cow
/dev/mapper/clones-c1_s1_snap1
/dev/mapper/clones-c1_s1_snap1-cow

Half of those would be hidden to lvdisplay, though the man
page will probably tell you how to show hidden LVs.  "ls"
shows them all.

c1_s1_snap0-cow and c1_s1_snap1-cow are the copy on write
volumes, the exception stores, I believe.  -real is where
the current data lives, and c1_s1, the "main" LV is a basically
a proxy which reads directly from -rela, but diverts writes
so that old data is copied to -cow.  -snap0 is a proxy which
reads from either -cow or -real as needed.  Hopefully someone
will tell me where I'm wrong, if I am.

Zeroing c1_s1 first, then c1_s1_snap0-cow would zero everything,
or zeroing -real and -cow would be more efficient because you
avoid the copy on write penalty when zeroing the origin. I haven't
actually tested this, only reasoned through it.
--
Ray Morris
support at bettercgi.com

http://www.bettercgi.com/strongbox/