[linux-lvm] lvm to vmdk conversion

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 10:12:09 UTC 2011

Hi,
if this is not the right list for question the give me any link.
I am not clear as the term I want to know.
I have a virtualization setup(kvm) where few guest Operating Systems
are running in separate LVM partitions.

Here is output of lvscan

 ACTIVE            '/dev/abcd/lvm1' [100.00 GiB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/abcd/lvm2' [150.00 GiB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/abcd/lvm3' [50.00 GiB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/abcd/lvm4' [100.00 GiB] inherit

I want all these OSeS running inside LVMs to be into a vmdk image.
I came across many tutorials on internet which talk of converting a
vmdk to qcow2 image using qemu-img.

I tried vmware-converter-client  also on a test machine which actually failed.
I want to convert all the above LVMs to vmdk image which I can give to
some people who will do experiments on the things installed in the VMs
as above on a Vmware environment or Xen even.
So what way should I go.
I came across a command
qemu-img convert -c -f raw -O vmdk /dev/abcd/lvm4 /backup/lvm4.img

Will the above affect the lvm4.
I do not want the VM running on original server to at all loose its
any of the content but also have a vmdk file for each of the Guest OS
which is running on kvm as mentioned above.
What should I google exactly I am not clear with this part.