[linux-lvm] vgscan

Alberto Rivera pollochicken at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 14:01:24 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Prathyush <prathyush.r at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What does vgscan --mknodes command will do. Can i use this for exporting
> the vgs to another system
>
> -- **

>From the vgscan(8) man page:

*--mknodes* Also checks the LVM special files in /dev that are needed for
active logical volumes and creates any missing ones and removes unused ones
The years I have been working with lvm I have never had to use this
command.  Typically as long as I mark the volume group as active on the node
that I want the vgscan to be usable  vgchange -a y ${volume_group} takes
care of presenting the device files where on the node it was activated on.

Hope that helps.