[linux-lvm] Fedora 15 lvm root device not found

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Fri Jul 1 15:05:09 UTC 2011

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011, Stamper, Brian P. (ARC-D)[Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies Inc. (SGT Inc.)] wrote:

> I was able to boot this system by taking an initramfs from another Fedora 15
> test system and putting it in /boot and referencing it in grub.conf.
>  However, I need to find out why an initramfs I build on the system is
> unable to boot.
>
> When I?m in dracut, I was able to do some checking.  Using the lvm commands,
> I was able to activate and deactivate the vg, display the lvs, but not use
> them.  I would get ?device not found?, and in /dev/mapper, the lvm devices
> were not there.  There were other lvm devices there, but not from my primary
> system lvm.  The only thing that stands out about it is that it is ext4, not
> ext3.

This is a Fedora issue, not LVM, and you might try the Fedora IRC chat, but...

Have you tried running mkinitrd again since you got the system booted?
Since you just upgraded, mkinitrd could have screwed up since drivers
and device names may have changed from 13 to 15.  I even had this problem
with CentOS, 5.5 -> 5.6 mkinitrd had to be run again (after booting from
older kernel).

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>