[linux-lvm] Bug! lvs shouldn't need 'root' access

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Sun Jul 10 22:08:15 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 10:40:13AM -0700, Linda A. Walsh wrote:
> I could write to the darn things!, but all I NEED is read (hmmm

I thought so too when we first began work on LVM, but - surprising
to me - there's been hardly any demand expressed for this feature.

The proposed method of handling this was to accept dm ioctls on
the actual devices themselves controlled by normal ioctl permissions.

Currently, you need CAP_SYS_ADMIN (and access to /dev/mapper/control).

Alasdair