[linux-lvm] Recovery from a failed motherboard

Tom Epperly tepperly at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 13:48:36 UTC 2011

I had a Linux system that I used for backups running Bacula. It had
two physical volumes (actual separate SATA hard disks) that were
combined into a logical volume group. The motherboard of this system
is dead, but there is some reason to believe the physical hard disks
may be fine.

I am wondering if there is a way I can plug these two physical disks
into another Linux box and access the file system that's on the
logical volume group. I looked at the LVM FAQ about moving groups, but
it assumes you can run commands on the old system before moving to the
new system. In this case, the old system is gone.

Regards,

Tom