[linux-lvm] pvscan is not recognizing physical volumes

Anthony Nelson anthonyn at affinitygs.com
Wed Jun 1 14:13:38 UTC 2011

We have a system that pvscan is not recognizing the physical volumes
which is preventing it from cleanly booting. The linux kernel images are
on the lvm partitions. The partitions correctly show as LVM partitions
when doing an fdisk -l, but the pvscan says "No matching physical volume
found".

I was suggested to try doing a vgscan -vvvv and the only thing that
looked odd was a message saying "No label detected" prior to closing the
disk.

Some of the steps I have gone through and documentation of this issue
can be found on the serverfault question I opened yesterday. You can see
that here:
http://serverfault.com/questions/275679/rescue-disk-is-unable-to-see-the-lvm-physical-volumes

Thanks,
Anthony