[linux-lvm] LVM label lost / system does not boot

Andreas Schild andreas at soulboarder.net
Tue Jun 7 08:54:46 UTC 2011

Thanks to a link from Ger (and a lot of googling) I am a couple of steps
ahead:
I was able to recover the Volume Group Configuration and use it to do a
"vgcfgrestore", which worked (!)
next was a vgchange:
vgchange -a y
  device-mapper: resume ioctl failed: Invalid argument
  Unable to resume cmain-data (252:4)
  5 logical volume(s) in volume group "cmain" now active

dmesg showed:
device-mapper: table: 252:4: md0 too small for target: start=2390753664,
len=527835136, dev_size=2918584320

I tried to mount the other volumes, but this did not work either: classical
"specify file system type" (xfs for me) and then the error about bad
superblock etc. xfs_check did not help either.

I went one step back and looked at the superblocks of the two old harddisks
(which are not longer part of the array). I realized one difference: The
Chunk Size for the "old" RAID array was 64K, for the new array this is 512K.

Could this be a reason lvm is off and looks at the wrong place?

Current situation is this: 2 old disks and 2 new disks constitute a clean(?)
RAID 5 array with chunk size 512K with the problems described.
I do have the two old drives, but the file system content has changed during
the step up. My guess is I cannot just hook together everything as it was
and be happy. (I would probably have to zero the superblocks of the two old
HDs (the ones that were in the new array) but would probably end up with the
same problems).

Any ideas? or is this the point where I am in the wrong mailing list?

Thanks so far, I already learned a lot.
Andreas