[linux-lvm] removing a disk prematurely

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu Jun 16 19:32:30 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I have been looking everywhere for a good answer to this issue, with no
success (including searching this list's archives); I hope that coming
directly to the source will help.

I made a mistake in removing physical media from a hot-swap drive bay
before telling LVM I was going to remove it.  I don't actually care
about the data on those disks at all--it was an old test volume that I
hadn't even had mounted for over a year.  But now, when I do any lvm
commands, I get an error like so:

# pvdisplay
  /dev/testVG/testLV: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error

and an error like this in the logs:

scsi 1:0:2:0: rejecting I/O to dead device

What would be the cleanest, most official way to clear this error?  I
have read a lot about vgreduce --removemissing, which seems like it
should work, but I am (perhaps overly) paranoid about messing up other
existing and currently working LVM volumes.

If you need any other information, please let me know, either on or off
list.  Thanks!

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us