[linux-lvm] Resizing underlying LVM partition after cloning to bigger disk

Scott Arthur scott at scottatron.com
Thu Mar 3 05:25:30 UTC 2011

So I've just cloned a 1TB disk to a new 2TB disk using GNU ddresuce

My partition table looks like this:

Model: ATA WDC WD20EARS-00M (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 2000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
 1      32.3kB  296MB   296MB   primary   ext4         boot
 2      296MB   1000GB  1000GB  extended
 5      296MB   1000GB  1000GB  logical                lvm

I'm obviously wanting to expand the LVM partition to fill the remaining 1TB
of space.

Am I able to simply use parted to resize the partition before doing a
pvresize etc?

Or is it risky to resize the underlying LVM partition?