[linux-lvm] Resizing underlying LVM partition after cloning to bigger disk

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Fri Mar 4 21:57:56 UTC 2011

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011, Scott Arthur wrote:

> I did consider that as an easier option.
>
> Based on what is said here:
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/multpartitions.html if I don't have striped
> logical volumes and there's only one physical drive, can I expect any
> performance issues?

With no striping or mirroring, there is no performance issue.
Even with striping or mirroring, you can manually designate which
PVs to use and maintain optimal performance.  At some point, there
should be some metadata for PVs (if there isn't already) to mark them
as belonging to the same physical drive.

It would also be useful to mark PVs that reside on "0 seek time" media
like solid state drives.  (Which have limited bandwidth, so you still
don't want to stripe or mirror on the same physical drive.)  There is
less need to defragment a PV with 0 seek time, and it would be more
optimal for snapshot COW LVs to be on zero seek PVs (since the COW
blocks are mapped in essentially random order).

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>