[linux-lvm] Resizing underlying LVM partition after cloning to bigger disk

Scott Arthur scott at scottatron.com
Sat Mar 5 02:13:10 UTC 2011

I've been playing around on a test system with a similar partition table.

Have successfully resized 2 to fill the disk extent. Partition 5 however
proves to be problematic.

Using fdisk, I tried deleting 2 and 5 and recreating based on sectors, but
couldn't recreate 5 on the same starting sector, it told me I was out of
bounds.

I then tried the same thing with fdisk but with cylinders instead and both
partitions were recreated okay, but destroyed all my LVM stuff.

I can happily resize 2 using parted but parted wont resize 5.

Should I expect to be able to resize 5, or am I missing the point. Should I
simply be creating a partition 6 to fill the additional space opened up by
the resizing of partition 2?

On 4 March 2011 21:41, Radu Rendec <radu.rendec at mindbit.ro> wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 15:18 -0500, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 Mar 2011, Scott Arthur wrote:
> >
> > > Partition Table: msdos
> > >
> > > Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
> > >  1      32.3kB  296MB   296MB   primary   ext4         boot
> > >  2      296MB   1000GB  1000GB  extended
> > >  5      296MB   1000GB  1000GB  logical                lvm
> > >
> > > I'm obviously wanting to expand the LVM partition to fill the remaining
> 1TB
> > > of space.
> > >
> > > Am I able to simply use parted to resize the partition before doing a
> > > pvresize etc?
> > >
> > > Or is it risky to resize the underlying LVM partition?
>
> I wouldn't do that. Instead, I would create a new logical partition,
> "format" it as lvm physical volume and then extend the volume group to
> use this partition as well.
>
> I think this can be safely done like this:
>
> * turn off lvm;
> * note down the exact starting and ending *sector* of partition 5 (using
> fdisk -lu)
> * use fdisk and delete partition 5 and 2, then re-create partition 2 up
> to the full disk size
> * re-create partition 5 making sure it's on exactly the same starting
> and ending sector as it was before
> * create new partition 6
>
> > You are getting to a size where msdos partition tables are risky.
> > Don't they crap out at 2TB?
>
> They do. But the "2TB" disk is actually 2000GB, which is safe (it takes
> more than 2048GB to run into trouble with m$dos partitions).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Radu Rendec

Scottatron | Mob +6421 89 11 88 | skype scottatron