[linux-lvm] lvremove or vgextend: metadata too large for circular buffer

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Fri Mar 11 23:01:54 UTC 2011

> However, that time I didn't get the error from lvremove.
> This time, that is occurring.  So I don't seem to be able to make any
> space.

> Once I execute lvremove on a volume, the "LV Status" becomes "NOT
> available".  The command 'lvdisplay -m' still shows the segments,
> however.

> How can I resolve this?  Trashing the entire VG is not something I
> can afford.

You may be able to manually do your removes on the output of
vgcfgbackup, then use vgcfgrestore.  Be careful.

> I created new PVs with larger allocations of space for metadata, but
> I cannot even add these to the VG.  The vgextend command also fails
> with "metadata too large for circular buffer"

   What I did was to allocate MUCH more space on the new PVs,
make a new VG from them, then copy LVs from one of the old PVs.
Then recreate that PV with more metadata space, add it to the
new VG, etc. until all of the PVs are in the new VG, with far
more metadata space.
--
Ray Morris
support at bettercgi.com