[linux-lvm] Advanced Format disks mixed with regular disks?

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson at cox.net
Mon Mar 14 19:13:58 UTC 2011

On 03/14/2011 12:17 PM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14 2011 at 12:47pm -0400,
> Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson at cox.net>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there any concern with mixing 4KB-sector drives with 512-byte
>> sector drives in the same LV?
>
> Both LVM2 and Device Mapper have been updated to accommodate stacking
> such a mix of drives.
>
> See this for a bit more detail:
> http://people.redhat.com/msnitzer/docs/io-limits.txt
>
> Particularly, the "Stacking I/O Limits" section.
>
> The concern raised for partial (4k) writes to the 512b drive was
> discussed a bit more here: http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/2/22/295

Does this mean that util-linux v2.17.1 fdisk correctly handle AF
disks?  (Note that I will *not* be booting off an AF device.)

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/v2.17/v2.17.1-ReleaseNotes

fdisk:
    - cleanup alignment, default to 1MiB offset  [Karel Zak]
    - don't check alignment_offset against geometry  [Karel Zak]
    - fallback for topology values  [Karel Zak]
    - fix ALIGN_UP  [Karel Zak]
    - fix check_alignment()  [Karel Zak]
    - fix default first sector  [Karel Zak]
    - use "optimal I/O size" in warnings  [Karel Zak]
    - use 1MiB offset and grain always when possible  [Karel Zak]
    - use more elegant way to count and check alignment  [Karel Zak]
    - use optimal_io_size  [Karel Zak]

--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.