[linux-lvm] vgexport usage

Anderson Kaiser akaiser at redhat.com
Mon Mar 21 14:33:12 UTC 2011

On 03/17/2011 02:32 PM, Males, Jess wrote:
> > From 'man 8 vgexport':
> vgexport allows you to make the inactive VolumeGroupName(s) unknown to  the  system.
>
> By 'unknown to the system' I would expect it would not appear in vg listings such as vgs (shown below) or vgdisplay.
>
> [root at icarus lvm]# vgcreate junk /dev/loop1 /dev/loop2 /dev/loop3
>    Volume group "junk" successfully created
> [root at icarus lvm]# vgs
>    VG         #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize  VFree
>    junk         3   0   0 wz--n- 48.00M 48.00M
> [root at icarus lvm]# vgchange junk -a n
>    0 logical volume(s) in volume group "junk" now active
> [root at icarus lvm]# vgs
>    VG         #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize  VFree
>    junk         3   0   0 wz--n- 48.00M 48.00M
> [root at icarus lvm]# vgexport junk
>    Volume group "junk" successfully exported
> [root at icarus lvm]# vgs
>    VG         #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize  VFree
>    junk         3   0   0 wzx-n- 48.00M 48.00M
>

> However, more disturbing is that if I remove one of the disks, lvm complains about a missing item.
>
> [root at icarus lvm]# losetup -d /dev/loop2
> [root at icarus lvm]# vgs
>    Couldn't find device with uuid 1gNBDl-dOqI-OQid-TIcq-8Lp2-qUa2-PwdvnB.
>    VG         #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize  VFree
>    junk         3   0   0 wzxpn- 48.00M 48.00M
>

> Am I expecting the wrong things from this command?
>

> Thanks,
>
> -- Jess Males

  Maybe "unknown" is the wrong word in this case. You will be able to
see this VG using vgs, vgdisplay and so on. But you can't remove when
you try a vgremove.

You have to import it back (vgimport VolumeGroup) to change it again.

I think that unknown means more like "unchangeable".

[]'s

--
Anderson Kaiser (RHCE, RHCVA)
Red Hat Brasil - Global Support Services
akaiser at redhat.com
+55 11 3529-6000
Direct: +55 11 3529-6093