[linux-lvm] How to fix missmatch between VG-size and LV-size?

Georges Giralt georges.giralt at free.fr
Thu Mar 31 19:19:57 UTC 2011

Le 31/03/2011 17:06, Fredrik Skog a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> If I ever get all this data back I will definitely try to either RAID
> it or make a backup of the most importatnt stuff on the volume.
>
> I have now run e2fsck -n -t -v /dev/vgftp/lvftp successfully. It gave
> me the following output. I'm not really sure what it means, but I
> think it looks pretty ok. Do you think it's ok to do this for real now?
>
> ################
> # e2fsck -n -t -v /dev/vgftp/lvftp
Snip......
/dev/vgftp/lvftp: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********
Snip
> I will try to copy the most important stuff off of the volume before i
> try this though.
Hello Fredrik
You used "-n" option  in the e2fsck command. So  the "WARNING:
Filesystem still has errors" tell all.
You SHOULD run e2fsck without the -n option BEFORE trying to mount it
and back up data or trying to resize it !
Otherwise..... you could well loose all the data !
Just my 2¢ .....
BTW : it is strange that all multiply allocated blocks are found to
belong only to one file. What was the system doing during the resize ?
What was the file system activity during that time ? And las t but not
least, you once told us that before running the resize, you ran the
fsck. Was it with -n option also ?  This may explain all the subsequent
events.

--
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
                Abraham Maslow