[linux-lvm] lvremove or vgextend: metadata too large for circular buffer

Andrew Gideon ag2827189 at tagmall.com
Fri Mar 11 20:05:12 UTC 2011

We're hitting the "metadata too large for circular buffer" problem.  Last
time this occurred, I was able to clear out a little space by removing
some unused volumes, and then make more space by selective use of pvmove
to defragment.  This worked well.

However, that time I didn't get the error from lvremove.  This time, that
is occurring.  So I don't seem to be able to make any space.

Once I execute lvremove on a volume, the "LV Status" becomes "NOT
available".  The command 'lvdisplay -m' still shows the segments, however.

How can I resolve this?  Trashing the entire VG is not something I can
afford.

I created new PVs with larger allocations of space for metadata, but I
cannot even add these to the VG.  The vgextend command also fails with
"metadata too large for circular buffer".

	- Andrew