[linux-lvm] creating pv's on LVM's for virtual guests

allan allane at spinn.net
Mon May 9 21:40:08 UTC 2011

Hi Steve,

I've had mixed results doing that very thing. Two servers perform very differently.
One mach, an HP DL380G6 w/ dual quad core Zeon and 6 146G disks installed with CentOS 5.5 stock xen, lvm, etc. performs
very well. Another machine intended as a low class server, a desktop quad core AMD, 4 SATA disks installed with stock
CentOS 5.5 same as first mach, has issues with disk perfomance on every DomU - writes are 1/10 the rate of Dom0 -- I'm
still troubleshooting it.
I see no problem with using LVM on Dom0, carving it up and offering to DomU virtuals and the virtuals using LVM for
storage. One thing to avoid: do not duplicate an LVM names within the entire machine. i.e. installer, when told to use
LVM, will create a vg of a specific name. If this name is not overridden, and you create multiple DomUs with same
process the VG name will be duplicated (as well as the LV names). Avoid name duplication.
I hope this helps.

Allan