[linux-lvm] N00b Question: Logical Volume without a Logical Volume Group ?

Dan White ygor at comcast.net
Wed Nov 2 15:06:12 UTC 2011

----- James Hawtin <oolon at ankh.org> wrote:
> Marek Podmaka wrote:
> >
> > My question was about if it is possible to change the partition table
> > (extend partition or add new partition) while using the PV in
> > activated VG.
> >

> Yes it is possible however like with all things some times it does not
> work and the kernel fails to re-read it, this can also happen with
> resizing disks, and sometimes online lun presentation does not work either.
>
> James

I just experienced that.

I had to reboot the machine to "see" the expanded LUN.
I used fdisk to make a partition out of the LUN expansion, but I had to reboot again before I could do anything further.
After the second reboot, I was able to make a PV out of the new partition, roll it into the existing VG and then expand the two test LV's I had previously created to utilize the new elbow room.

This is on a RHEL 5.7 system.

Is there a way to do this without the rebooting ?

Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)