[linux-lvm] VG is showing resizable/read/write but LV is showing NOT available after vgchange

Jewsco Pius Jacquez JewscoPius.Jacquez at Amdocs.com
Wed Oct 5 20:52:33 UTC 2011

I don't have the output of the lvs or vgdisplays..but as per our log, the return status is 0.

Excerpt from log;

+ vgchange -a y /dev/vg_cln_VONCRM01_ix
  4 logical volume(s) in volume group "vg_cln_VONCRM01_ix" now active
+ [ 0 -ne 0 ]

Why would the all LVs under that will show "NOT available"?

Thanks,
Jewsco

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-lvm-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:linux-lvm-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Stuart D. Gathman
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 2:33 PM
To: LVM general discussion and development
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] VG is showing resizable/read/write but LV is showing NOT available after vgchange

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011, Jewsco Pius Jacquez wrote:

> After doing vgchange -ay vg_name,  VG is showing resizable/read/write but LV
> is showing NOT available. Return status of vgchange is zero.
>
> What are the possibilities?

This doesn't happen to other people - or maybe it does.  We aren't sure
because you didn't include any specific output.  How about including
the output of pvs and lvs before and after the vgchange (and any output or
errors from vgchange).  Since the issue is sporadic, you might not
have the "before" output, but at least include the vgchange command
and "after" output.  You may just be misinterpreting something.

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>