[linux-lvm] Attempting to salvage data from a PV on a damaged disk

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Wed Oct 19 01:27:45 UTC 2011

> Question: if I do a 'vgcreate tempvolgroup /dev/sdc2', is it going to
> be destructive to the LVs inside the PV?

Don't do that. Had the LVM structure changed since the "mirror" disk
last synced? If not, it should have the LVM metatadata, which can be
restored, preferably to an image of the recent disk. Ideally, the
only thing that would be done with the failed disk is to make an
image of it on another drive. Then work with the image. dd_rescue
may be useful for making the image.
--
Ray Morris
support at bettercgi.com