[linux-lvm] Got Error 5 while doing vgimportclone without exporting the VG

Jewsco Pius Jacquez JewscoPius.Jacquez at Amdocs.com
Wed Sep 7 15:02:26 UTC 2011

Hello,

We have a EMC Storage side mirroring and normally to refresh the copy, we do vgexport, establish, split, then vgimportclone.

We are facing some issue when refreshing the copy then doing vgimportclone without doing vgexport first.

I checked the script vgimportclone, I'm wondering if I can move the line 230-231 to line 274 after the temporary LVM_SYSTEM_DIR is exported?
Will this probably fix the issue?

I have;
lvm2-2.02.74-5.el5
lvm2-cluster-2.02.74-3.el5
device-mapper-1.02.55-2.el5

Sample screenshots:
+ vgimportclone -n VG_NAME -i /dev/mapper/disk1 /dev/mapper/disk2 /dev/mapper/disk3 /dev/mapper/disk4
Fatal: Current VG names could not be collected without errors, error: 5

In HPUX this is fine..refreshing without vgexport is fine... Any idea?

Thanks,
Jewsco