[linux-lvm] more vg problems or oddities...not using dmsetup remove seems to be bad?

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Mon Sep 12 03:04:17 UTC 2011

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Linda A. Walsh wrote:

> tried to remove an unmounted active snapshot.
>
> lvremove said it wouldn't remove an active snapshot.
>
> Tried -an -- can't change active snapshot.

This is an annoying bug (IMHO).  Use lvremove -f (making sure it
really isn't open).

> Tried turning off monitoring --monitor -n
> It gave no message
> tried removing again...can't remove active snap
>
> tried --ignoremonitoring
>
> no message but still can't remove
>
> tried -- merging it...

Ooops.  You likely did not want that.  That reverts the origin volume
to the snapshot by copying the original data for updated sectors from
the snapshot.  This is an extremely useful feature, but *not* when
you invoke it accidentally!

> Now still can't remove, but says "
> Can't remove merging snapshot logical volume "Home-2011.09.03-00.28.36"

Correct.  You *don't* want to interrupt the merge.  That will just
corrupt stuff.

> So now I'm concerned...is it going to try to merge back any changes it
> recorded by reversing them?

Yes.

> i.e. put the original volume back the way it was when the snapshot started?

Yes.

> Says it couldn't do it on open volume -- does that mean it won't start this
> until I reboot,
> then it will take a long time to become active?

Possibly.  I've never tried it on an open volume.

> I'm wondering if I really want this 'merge' it wants to do...and if not, how
> do I abort it?

If it is really delayed until boot (or close), then you have a chance to abort
it, but I don't know how.  I hope an expert answers.  Meanwhile, I'll
peruse the man page to see if it talks about delayed merge.

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>