[linux-lvm] more vg problems or oddities...not using dmsetup remove seems to be bad?

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Mon Sep 12 07:33:45 UTC 2011

>> tried to remove an unmounted active snapshot.
>>
>> lvremove said it wouldn't remove an active snapshot.
>>
>> Tried -an -- can't change active snapshot.

> Use lvremove -f

What's directly in the LV? A partition perhaps? A raid block?
If it says that it can't be removed because it's in active use,
busy, it's probably telling you the truth. I've had this happen
a couple of times. In one case, it held a virtual machine with
a partition I had mapped using kpartx, so I had to use kpartx
to unmap that partition. I think the other time the LV was itself
a PV, or else it was shared using gnbd.

--force means, in my opinion at least, "Yes, I know what I'm doing.
I understand why the system is saying I better not do this, but
I want to force it to happen anyway". When it's used to mean "I don't
understand what's going on, I don't know why this is a bad idea,
but do it anyway", that sounds to me like a recipe for problems.
--
Ray Morris
support at bettercgi.com

http://www.bettercgi.com/strongbox/