[linux-lvm] lvmconvert --merge acting failing to remove devices

Dusty Mabe dustymabe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 17:18:18 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am on a basic CentOS 6 install (kernel-2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64 and
lvm2-2.02.72-8.el6.x86_64) . I took an lvm snapshot of an lv (that
contains my root fs). After erasing a few rpms I "reverted" my changes
by doing an lvmconvert --merge back to the original. Since the root fs
is mounted the merge is done the next time the lv is activated. I then
rebooted my machine so that the merge would happen. After boot I can
see the merge did happen but I still have the other dm devices
vgroot-lvroot-real vgroot-snap and vgroot-snap-cow. Is it a bug that
lvm is not cleaning up these devices?

Note that doing the lvconvert --merge  on an lv that is not mounted
will result in the dm devices being removed and the snapshot lv being
removed.

Thanks for any help!

Dusty Mabe