[linux-lvm] Removing snapshot often fails

Danilo Godec danilo.godec at agenda.si
Tue Apr 3 13:45:27 UTC 2012

Hello,

I have an OpenSuSE 11.4 based Xen server. I use LVM as the 'store' for
VM 's and I'm trying to make use of snapshots for backup.

However I discovered that often removing a snapshot fails -
unfortunately it's quite unpredictable, as sometimes it works on next
try but sometimes it fails 20 times in a row - making it very unpleasant
for scripting...

Even when it succeeds it give's me a message 'give up on open_count' -
and I couldn't quite find what it means.

Here's what I've been trying by hand:

> # lvcreate -s /dev/vm_store/test_vm1 -n "backup_test_vm1" -l 100%ORIGIN
>   Logical volume "backup_test_vm1" created
> # lvremove -f /dev/vm_store/backup_test_vm1
>   give up on open_count
>   Logical volume "backup_test_vm1" successfully removed
> # lvcreate -s /dev/vm_store/test_vm1 -n "backup_test_vm1" -l 100%ORIGIN
>   Logical volume "backup_test_vm1" created
> # lvremove -f /dev/vm_store/backup_test_vm1
>   give up on open_count
>   Logical volume "backup_test_vm1" successfully removed
> # lvcreate -s /dev/vm_store/test_vm1 -n "backup_test_vm1" -l 100%ORIGIN
>   Logical volume "backup_test_vm1" created
> # lvremove -f /dev/vm_store/backup_test_vm1
>   Can't remove open logical volume "backup_test_vm1"

Am I doing something wrong?

Is this 'expected' and should I just keep re-trying in a loop until it
succeeds?

  Thanks, Danilo

--
Danilo Godec, sistemska podpora / system administration

Predlog! Obiscite prenovljeno spletno stran www.agenda.si

ODPRTA KODA IN LINUX
STORITVE : POSLOVNE RESITVE : UPRAVLJANJE IT : INFRASTRUKTURA IT : IZOBRAZEVANJE : PROGRAMSKA OPREMA

Visit our updated web page at www.agenda.si

OPEN SOURCE AND LINUX
SERVICES : BUSINESS SOLUTIONS : IT MANAGEMENT : IT INFRASTRUCTURE : TRAINING : SOFTWARE