[linux-lvm] Hide volume group during startup

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Thu Apr 12 11:52:20 UTC 2012

On 04/12/2012 12:41 PM, Erik Schwalbe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> filter was:
>
> filter = [ "r|/dev/data/kvm_disk0|" ]
>
> path:
> /dev/data/kvm_disk0 -> ../mapper/data-kvm_disk0

To filter a device-mapper device you also have to filter out the
/dev/dm-N device nodes that udev manages. There's also a symlink from
/dev/$VG_NAME/$LV_NAME to the dm-N node (although I think that should be
handled by filtering /dev/dm-N).

I'd be using something like:

    [ "r|/dev/dm.*|", "r|/dev/$VG_NAME|", "a|.*|"]

Alternately (and I prefer this for many configurations) you can accept
("a|..|") the device you need for the data VG and reject all other
devices ("r|.*|").

> The device name is stable, but what other way of control activation are possible??

Tags but since you're not currently filtering dm-N nodes I would try
that first.

Regards,
Bryn.