[linux-lvm] Missing PV

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Thu Apr 26 19:43:15 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 07:47:24PM +0200, Milan Broz wrote:

> Are you sure that VM see that second qcow file content? I don't think so.

You are right.

dmesg shows that the "drive" is found and accessable to the system.

HOWEVER, no partitions.  Or more properly, no partition table!   ????

Confirmed by fdisk.

I then did a dd of the first 512K of that disk, and then ran strings on
it.  When I did that, I saw strings like "GRUB," "Hard Disk" and such
fairly early in the file.

I also saw "LVM2," which I know is the beginning of LVM2 meta-data.  I
can see a nice block of at least two different revisions of LVM2
meta-data on this drive. ( I stopped looking there. )

I tried a tool know I know of called "testdisk," which attempts to
recover partition tables, and it wasn't able to help.  Odd.

Still looking.