[linux-lvm] Allocation Policy for Cloud Computing needed

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Mon Feb 20 22:41:51 UTC 2012

> > Then, I've tested to put all my RAID-1 arrays into a single VG,
> > because LV size should be adjustable over all hard drives.
> > I want to have an allocation which distributes the LVs equally over
> > the PVs as long as space is left and LVs aren't resized.

Since you're using RAID anyway, consider testing RAID 10, which will
distribute IO across spindles.

> You can get pretty complex in similar scripts, if you really want
> to... consider using
>   pvs -o vg_name,lv_name,pv_name,pvseg_start,pvseg_size,seg_pe_ranges
> and explicitly listing not only the PVS, but even the PE ranges to
> your lvcreate commands...

For scripting, see Linux::LVM on CPAN. It gives you that information
as a nice data structure. I welcome feature requests and patches.
(Linux::LVM::Do coming soon for modifying rather than just querying
LVM objects.)
--
Ray Morris
support at bettercgi.com