[linux-lvm] Resizing a logical volume which is mounted (at /home)

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Thu Jan 19 10:03:52 UTC 2012

Kiran Rao wrote:
> Thanks for the advice Jess.
>
> Actually I am to blame for this. I did not properly understand the LVM
> concept before doing this partitioning. I have lots of free space on
> disk but that is *outside* the VG. Only later did I realize that the
> whole point of having VGs is to have some free space *within* them!

Well that is easy then, if they free space is directly after your
current PV, you can just extend the partition in the partition table
then use PV resize to grow (cleaner but tricker),.

The Second thing "Easily" way you could do is create a new partition
using the free space, then create a PV on that, then extend the volume
group to also use that partition. Simplez

James