[linux-lvm] how to online resize pv?

Stuart D Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Mon Jul 30 20:25:46 UTC 2012

On Jul 30, Stefan Priebe transmitted in part:

> Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name       Flags
> 1      1049kB  2097kB  1049kB               GRUB_BOOT  bios_grub
> 2      2097kB  32,2GB  32,2GB               Linux LVM  lvm
>
> If i delete 2 and recreate it starting at the same sector i can't reread the
> part. table.
>
> Is there a way todo online resizing?

Only when no partition is open.  That is one reason why LVM is an
improvement over partition tables.  You don't have to use a partition
table, just use the entire device as a PV.  However, most admins use a
partition table with a single partition so that other OSes will
recognize the disk as in use (and hopefully not overwrite without
warning if accidentally presented).

If you have multiple drives, you might be able to migrate stuff off,
remove the PV, resize, add the PV back to the VG.

I use software RAID1/RAID10.  You can remove the partition from the RAID
array, resize, then add it back and resync.  Repeat for other mirror
legs to actually use the space.