[linux-lvm] some principal questions about cLVM

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Tue Jun 5 12:14:46 UTC 2012

Hi,

i'm new to cLVM. I used "normal" LVM several times, and i like it.
I want to establish a two node cluster. As resources i have VM's (using KVM). Furthermore i will have a FC SAN.
I'd like to build PV, then VG and finally LV's on top of the SAN. Every VM will reside in one LV.
Is that ok ?
My question is now: When i create virtual disks in my SAN, do i have to create a Virtual Disk (or LUN) on my SAN, then PV, VG and finally LV for every VM ?
Or can i create ONE Virtual Disk (LUN) in my SAN, on top of that create ONE PV and ONE VG and finally for every VM one LV ? This would be easier.

I'd like to have the VM's distributed between the two nodes, as a kind of Load-Balancing.
Is it possible that the VG is running on both nodes simultaneously, having some LV's (and thereby some VM's) running on node 1 and others on node 2 ?

Thanks for any answer.

Bernd

--
Bernd Lentes

Systemadministration
Institut für Entwicklungsgenetik
HelmholtzZentrum münchen
bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
phone: +49 89 3187 1241
fax:   +49 89 3187 3826
http://www.helmholtz-muenchen.de/idg

Wer Visionen hat, soll zum Hausarzt gehen
Helmut Schmidt

Helmholtz Zentrum München
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstädter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir´in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Günther Wess und Dr. Nikolaus Blum
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671