[linux-lvm] LVM internals, guides, design, tutorials plz

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Tue Jun 19 23:17:54 UTC 2012

Make no changes to the drives you have. Try to fix only
images of them. "fix" means change what's on disk, which means lose
what's there. The most common cause of completely destroyed data is
attempts to recover it.

Study /etc/lvm/backup/* and /etc/lvm/archive/* copied from a live
system. That pretty well shows you the internal structure of the data
better than prose is likely to explain it.  That textual representation
of the metadata is exactly what's on disk.  It's just written
circularly in disk, so it starts with the middle of an old version.

As far as recovery, it's probably going to either be fairly simple, or
not possible at the LVM level. If you have an old backup of the system,
it should contain /etc/lvm/backup/.  If you didn't change the LVM since
that old backup was done, you're gold. Just vgcfgrestore
from /etc/lvm/backup/ in the old backup.

--
Ray Morris
support at bettercgi.com

http://www.bettercgi.com/strongbox/