[linux-lvm] Storage Virtualization and LVM

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Tue Mar 20 21:45:13 UTC 2012

Since noone else replied I thought I'd share my thoughts and
invite you to share your experience. If you export the LVs, not
the PVs, XCP doesn't see the PVs and therefore sees the LVs as
iscsi LUNs, not as LVs, it won't see the metadata.  The storage
server is writing to the metadata and the snapshot, but not to the
LV. The XCP is writing to the LV (as an iscsi LUN), but not to the
snapshot or the metadata. Therefore you're OK because you don't have
two machines writing to the same thing.

On the other hand, if you export the PVs so that both machines see the
LVs as LVs, meaning both machines see the metadata, then you'd need to
use clvm. (clustered LVM).

I'm not an expert, but I believe the above to be accurate. I plan
to do the same thing, but had some trouble getting the SCST driver for
Marvell SAS working or LSI/MPT working. The idea was that the initiator
would then see the LUN as an ordinary disk connected to the SAS
controller. It could therfore boot from that "SAS drive" (actually a
LUN on another machine) without any special drivers being required on
the initiator side. That would be much simpler on the initiator side
than booting from iscsi or similar. In that way, any arbitrary virtual
machine could be run on bare metal by simply exporting it's image
thriough the SCST SAS interface.

I would be interested to hear of your experience - any problems you run
into or even better if you don't have any problems.
--
Ray Morris
support at bettercgi.com

http://www.bettercgi.com/strongbox/